Skip to main content

Voyage plotting - challenges ahead.

On Jan 8th in the post titled Voyage Plotting and Planning I avoided saying too much about what might happen beyond the Cape Verdes.

Now reality is here, it's uphill to the Med and there is no way of avoiding the fact anymore. 

We plan to break the voyage in two by stopping somewhere in the Canary Islands, we are not sure where, but it is a minimum of 800 NM as the crow flies and likely to be somewhat longer for us. 

The NE Trades have been blowing hard all week in Mindelo, we are headed shortly as the forecast is for things to moderate over the next few days.

Anyway a little wrap before we go

1. The possible passage plan - the wind is due to moderate considerably over the weekend which should give us the chance to motor sail almost directly into it once the sea state improves. This route shows Las Palmas, Gran Canaria as the stop - it's just one option. 

2. We are leaving behind lovely Mindelo - a spot I hope to come back to someday but downwind next time. 

3. A very familiar sight appeared just yesterday morning - she would have been included in the Boats for Oceans post yesterday if she had been in time. 

4&5. All possible preparations are being taken, including my visit to the dentist. Fidélia and Suely of Clinica Ateliê do Sorriso, Mindelo may be a useful contact for someone someday. 

6. Anyway gotta go. Next post should be from Ruth II at sea. You will note that not everyone leaves!

Slán go fóill